At Orientation, students will...
- Learn about the academic environment at UC Davis
- Review their fall quarter course schedule with an advisor
- Explore ways to get involved in campus activities
- Meet UC Davis faculty, staff and administrators
- Discuss important college issues for new students
- Learn about campus life from current students
- Meet other new students and make friends
- Have questions answered about coming to campus
International and National Orientation is the best way to get started on the path to academic success at UC Davis. Students are expected to attend Orientation because it improves their preparation for academic success and assists in their transition to the university. Students who participate in Orientation are better prepared, encounter fewer problems, and generally have a very positive feeling about their experiences at UC Davis. Plan to participate!
Admission to UC Davis is based upon the academic major indicated on a student’s application. Students wishing to change majors must wait until winter quarter to submit a Change of Major request. Be aware that some majors have additional requirements. In regards to advising, Orientation Leaders are trained to assist students from all colleges, and can assist any student in choosing classes for the major of their choice.
Preparing for Orientation
Start by reviewing the placement exam information under Advising Resources. Prior to Orientation first-year students should take the math placement exam and/or the chemistry placement exam online. Information can be found through UC Davis Mathematics and the Department of Chemistry.
Sample Student Schedule
Attending the entirety of International and National Orientation is the beginning to a successful start at UC Davis. Each day is full of activities that will assist in learning everything there is to know about academics, campus and student life, as well as student resources. Failure to attend or participate in any part of International and National Orientation can jeopardize proper academic advising.
International & National Student Orientation Program will cover the following topics, but note that finalized (updated), detailed schedules will be provided to participants during check-in.
Monday, 9/17 - Day 1 (Check-in)
- Campus Tours
Tuesday, 9/18 - Day 2 (Program Begins)
- College Welcome and Overview (Meet your Dean!)
- Immigration Regulations and California Living workshop
- Social activities (Get to know your peers!)
Wednesday, 9/19 - Day 3 (Program Continues)
- Academic Expectations
- College and Major Advising
- How Do You Rec? in the Activities and Recreation Center
Thursday, 9/20 - Day 4 (Last Day of Program)
- Aggie Community
- Internship and Career Center
- Student Health and Counseling Services
- Student Housing and Campus Safety
- Study Abroad
- Violence Intervention Prevention workshop
- Check-Out of Orientation program (for students without Academic Year Housing)
Friday, 9/21 - Check-out
- Check-Out of Orientation program (for students with Academic Year Housing)
- Check-In with Student Housing and Dining Services (any students with Academic Year Housing)