Student Employment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I apply to more than one position?
- Absolutely. You are welcomed to apply to more than one position, however, if offered multiple positions, you will need to choose one. Please be aware that each position (Orientation Leader, Program Assistant and Registration Student Assistant) all have different interview processes. Our student staff positions are full time during the summer and it will not be possible to hold multiple positions.
- What are the requirements for the positions?
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age. If you are applying for a driving position, you need a valid California license.
All applicants must be in good academic (min. GPA 2.0) and disciplinary standing with the University, Student Housing, and Student Judicial Affairs. Background checks are also a required part of the hiring process for these positions. If you already have a successfully completed background check on file, then you may not need to complete another.For specific requirements, please refer to the Job Descriptions for the positions that interest you.
- Do I need to submit a cover letter and/or resume for any of these positions?
- No! To apply for any roles, please fill out the application for that position. There may be additional writing prompts for you to complete depending on the position. Please note that if you submit any additional materials, we applaud you for taking an extra step, but they will not be taken into consideration during our hiring process.
- Can I take summer session or have outside commitments?
Enrollment in summer session is prohibited due to its conflict with the program. It is expected that other outside commitments will not interfere with meeting the expectations of this position.
Program Assistant (PA) & Registration Student Assistant (RSA) FAQs
- Is summer housing provided for PAs and the RSA?
No, Program Assistants, including Registration Student Assistant are not provided with on-campus housing during the summer.
- What training is provided?
Winter Quarter & Spring Quarter
Weekly trainings to prepare PAs and the RSA in addition to office hours held.
Additional training days before each program (Transfer, First-Year, and International and National Orientation.)
- Do PAs and the RSA have weekends off during the summer?
- The typical work week for the Business Office is Monday-Friday, with some occasional Sunday shifts. Shifts vary per session and hours can range from early morning (6:30 am) to late evening (11 pm). Business Office staff positions are full-time positions that average 35-40 hours per week.
Orientation Leader FAQs
- Is summer housing provided for Orientation Leaders?
- As a condition of employment for the Orientation Leader position, you will be residing in a Student Housing residence hall during the First-Year Orientation program. It is required that you stay overnight when participants are residing in the halls.
- What if I need housing before First-Year Orientation?
- Transitional Housing provides you a room in the Tercero area during Transfer Program Training, Transfer Orientation, and First-Year Program Training.
- As this housing is at a greatly reduced price, Orientation Leaders who use Transitional Housing work additional shifts during First-Year Orientation sessions (times and requirements are TBD and subject to change.)
- Who should sign up for Transitional Housing?
- Orientation Leaders who are currently living in the residence halls or other temporary housing, and those OLs who would have to commute from more than 25 miles away each day during Transfer Orientation session.
- What training is provided?
- Mandatory Training is provided as follows:
- Spring Quarter
- -Orientation Leader spring training courses on Mondays from 8:00-9:50 a.m.
- -All trainings including the staff training retreat (TBD). All training times are subject to change.
- -Independent study time to learn course materials.
- -Additional training days before each program (Transfer, First-Year, and International and National Orientation).
- -Weekly staff meetings on Wednesdays.
- Spring Quarter
- Do Orientation Leaders have weekends off?
- The typical work week for an OL is Monday-Friday, with occasional Sunday shifts. Shifts vary per session and hours can range from early morning (6:30 am) to late evening (11 pm). OLs work between 35-40 hours per week.
- Do I work all the orientation sessions?
- Orientation Leaders are trained and required to work all Transfer, First-Year, and International and National (unless you are a graduating senior) Orientation sessions.