Partner with UC Davis
The UC Davis campus understands the important role that family members play in their students' lives and educational success by providing continued communication and support. The Transfer Family Orientation program runs separately and concurrently with the Transfer Student Orientation program. Family members do not attend their student's advising sessions. This separation is the first step for students to learn autonomy and develop the skills they will need to be successful at UC Davis. By attending Orientation, families can build a partnership with UC Davis, focusing on ways in which everyone can support students in reaching their educational and career objectives. Please note that separate activities for siblings or young children are not provided.
At Transfer Family Orientation, participants learn about academic and social aspects of campus, resources available to students, and receive information about support services. Participants meet current students and hear presentations from university staff. This is a prime opportunity to meet other UC Davis family members to network and share experiences with.
Transfer Family Orientation participants spend their day with Family Hosts, who are current undergraduate Orientation Leaders. The Family Hosts are highly trained and skilled individuals who are excited to introduce family members to the vast resources available at UC Davis, share about their own undergraduate experiences and answer any questions. Be sure to look to the Family Hosts if you need anything during the program!
Suggested items to bring to Transfer Family Orientation are located on What to Bring. It will be helpful to reference the Pre-Orientation tasks with your student to see what they need to do before attending Orientation.
The following is a sample schedule and is an example of what to expect at Transfer Family Orientation. Detailed schedules will be provided to participants during check-in. Attendance and participation at Transfer Family Orientation is the responsibility of each participant.
- Check-In (7:20-8:10 A.M.)
- Resource Fair (Running concurrently with Check-In)
- Student & Family Welcome Session
- Campus Tour, led by Orientation Leaders
- Family Program Welcome
- Parent & Family Programs, presented by the Aggie Parent and Family Association
- Aggie Student Perspectives, presented by Orientation Leaders
- UC Davis: Then and Now, presented by the Office of Finance, Operations and Administration
- Financial Aid, presented by Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Student Accounting, presented by Accounting & Financial Services
- Student Health and Counseling Services, presented by Student Health and Counseling Services
- Student Success Workshops – Families and guests invited to attend! (Orientation will end approximately around 5:30 P.M.)