Transfer Student Program
Attending the entirety of Transfer Orientation is the beginning to a successful start at UC Davis. The Transfer Orientation Program is full of activities that will assist in learning everything there is to know about academics and resources for students. Failure to attend or participate in any part of Transfer Orientation can jeopardize proper academic advising and course enrollment.
This one-day option is fast paced and filled with informational sessions and activities. At Orientation, students will:
- Receive extensive academic advising and register for fall-quarter classes
- Learn about the academic environment and undergraduate research
- Explore ways to get involved in campus activities
- Discuss important college issues for new students
- Meet other new incoming students
- Get your questions answered about coming to campus
Transfer Orientation familiarizes students with the UC Davis campus, their specific college, and academic major department. Participants also learn about the multitude of resources that help lead to success at UC Davis such as the Transfer Reentry Center (TRC). Throughout the day, participants will meet other new UC Davis transfer students within small and large group settings. In the afternoon, participants will also receive advising from a staff or faculty adviser in a small-group setting. Their Orientation Leader will also be present to help with class scheduling and advising questions.
Admission to UC Davis is based upon the academic major indicated on a student's application. Students wishing to change majors must wait until winter quarter to submit a Change of Major request. Be aware that some majors have additional requirements.
Preparing for Orientation
The following is a sample schedule and is an example of what to expect at Transfer Orientation. Detailed schedules are available on the Orientation Guide and can be provided to participants during check-in.
- Check in (7:20-8:10 A.M.)
- Resource Fair (Running concurrently with Check-In)
- Student and Family Welcome
- Violence Intervention and Prevention Program Presentation, presented by the Center for Advocacy Resource and Education (CARE)
- College Orientation and Overview, presented by the Associate Dean of your college
- Schedule Builder Tutorial, presented by Orientation Leaders
- Lunch with your Orientation Leader
- Major Advising & Course Registration
- Student Success Workshops and/or Campus Tour (ending at 5:30 P.M.)
- 12x12 Expectations for International Students, presented by Services for International Students and Scholars (ends by 6:45 P.M.). All International transfer students should anticipate staying for this mandatory session after their respective Orientation session. This workshop is required for all F-1 Visa students. This session will review important information regarding immigration, visa regulations, employment, and how to maintain your legal status while studying at UC Davis.